Saturday 13 June 2015

How And Why of Blabber Jabber

Blabber and Jabber are two funny old rabbits who love to masticate the rolled newspapers as soon as those are chucked by the vendor through the little window of my room. Gods know what drives these lazy creatures hop into action as soon as they hear the tinkling of the vendor's cycle.

I work in evening shifts at the Nizam's palace, go to bed quite late and do not get up until the sun shines high. And La! What do I see when I rise? I see my rabbits chewing dailies nineteen to the dozen.

Few days back the Nizam has appointed a new driver for his elite German coupé. They say Alok Joshi, the new driver, is the finest of the lot. Before turning sexagenarian, he was a high-up among the Nizam's men and hence got a royal car to drive after his retirement.

Good driver or not, within seven days of his joining, he shuddered the car so hard into a bumper that I was shoved out of the vehicle, tossed into the air, walloped something and lost my consciousness.

Since then I am seeing things which no one else does, listening to things which no man has ever heard and smelling the strong aroma of Dravidian coffee which I often sip in Joshi Ji's company during our meetings that never occur. I went to the Nizam's court the other day but astonishingly found a Gujarati-gaddi in the place of the palace. In the gaddi, the Nizam was selling home-made vegetarian dhokla dressed like a modi-lala. Topping all my newfangled experiences, I am hearing my mute pets discussing Nicomachean Ethics and Marsilius of Podua ...


Enough !!

I can't bear it all alone ... So I have chosen to post some of the conversions between Blabber and Jabber. Then who knows ! I might also end up with posting my unreal experiences with Joshi ji - the driver.


2 comments:

  1. It was a delight to read .... with some generous spatterings of what reminded me of RK Narayan's style of writing .. so very Indian and yet so Colonial .. Reminiscing a bygone era which we all crave to return to but somehow have lost the key to the door.. Keep up the excellent work!

    ReplyDelete